Retirement represents a huge milestone in your career and is a big life event. Before you reach your retirement age you will want to prepare and ensure you have the answers to any pension and benefit questions and will be comfortable for the years to come. 

Normal retirement age

The age for normal retirement depends on the type of pension plan you are enrolled in and can be found in the plan document. The dates for the following pension plans are:

Money Purchase Pension Plan June 30 following age 67
Non-Academic Defined Benefit Pension Plan  First day of the month following age 65

Early retirement

Some of the pension plans also list an early retirement date so if you wish to retire early please review your pension plan summary.

University of Saskatchewan Retirees Association

The University of Saskatchewan Retirees Association offers a way for retirees to continue a meaningful relationship with the University. 

The Association hold several events throughout the year including:

  • lunch and learns
  • spring BBQ
  • awards banquet and AGM

The association is open to include all who have worked at the University (including its federated and affiliated colleges and research institutes) for at least 6 years and have reached age 55 and have retired, including members from the dissolved non-Academic Retirees Assocation.

Pension income and options

Depending on which pension plan you are enrolled in, your pension calculations and pension options may differ. The best steps to take to determine your pension income, plan, and discuss how you can start receiving your pension is:

  1. Review your pension plan summary for the plan that you are in. If you are unsure which pension plan you are in, review your Benefits Summary in PAWS.
  2. Review Pension Plan at a Glance. This has information about your plan, planning information for retirement and much more.
  3. Review additional pension information if you are in the Money Purchase Plan in your MySunLife account portal.
  4. Contact the Pensions Office to discuss your retirement options, income and steps to get to your retirement date.

Providing notice

Each employment group has their own notice timeline so if you are considering retiring or have decided on a date, review the recommended notice periods for your resignation. As much notice as possible is ideal, as there should be time for knowledge transfer and other replacement planning.

  • Out of Scope Faculty, CUPE 3287 and Reseach
    Under The Saskatchewan Employment Act, you are required to give the university advance written notice before quitting. If you have been employed for at least 13 consecutive weeks with the university, you must provide the university with a written notice at least two weeks before leaving your job. Your notice must state the last day you will work and should be sent in writing to your manager or supervisor. The university may waive some or all required notice in extenuating circumstances.


Extended Health Care and Dental

Coverage for you and your dependents will cease the date your employment ends. You have 90 days from the date of termination to submit eligible health, dental, health spending account and personal spending account claims incurred prior to and including your termination date. Any claims submitted after 90 days will not be paid.

Converting benefits to an individual plan after termination

After termination of employment, you may apply to convert to one of the programs available to individuals through Sun Life Financial:

  • Extended health care and dental plan - within 60 days of your termination
  • Life insurance – within 31 days of your termination

You may also convert the above benefits to a different insurance provider if they offer conversion options for group benefits members. It is recommended you shop around to find the coverage that best meets the needs of you and your family. Please be aware that the time frame for conversion may be different for other insurance providers than what is noted above for Sun Life.

 For detailed information please refer to Continuation of Coverage information.

Other Benefits and Programs

All other benefits and programs with the University of Saskatchewan will end on your retirement date.

Working beyond normal retirement age

If you continue to work past your normal retirement date, you will continue making contributions to your pension plan until the earlier of your actual retirement date or November 30 in the year that you turn 71.


If you continue to work past your normal retirement date you can either defer your pension while you continue to work or start your pension and receive pension income.  

To review your pension options you can contact the Pensions Office or review your pension plan summary.

Working past the age of 71

If you continue working past the age of 71, you are required by law to begin accessing your pension. Under the Income Tax Act, the latest you can defer receiving your pension is the end of the year in which you turn 71.


If you decide to continue working at the U of S after your normal retirement date you can continue accessing your benefits, with only a few changes in coverage. 

The following benefits will continue until the specified age maximums:

  • Extended Health Plan
  • Dental Plan
  • Basic Group Life Insurance
  • Optional Life Insurance - to age 70
  • Employee and Family Assistance Plan
  • Short Term Disability – to normal retirement date
  • Professional developments funds
  • Sick leave
  • Leaves as outlined in the employment agreements

 The following benefit coverage will be terminated on or before the normal retirement date:

  • Long Term Disability – for the age maximum in your employment group please refer to the applicable employment agreements.

Employees who work beyond the age of 67 and who become either partially disabled or totally disabled after the age of 67 shall be entitled to receive salary continuance for the first 180 calendar days of the illness or disability.

A faculty member who is ill or disabled on their normal retirement date and who has been in receipt of salary continuance and/or Long Term Disability for a continuous period of 180 calendar days prior to their normal retirement date shall not be entitled to further benefits.

A faculty member who is ill or disabled on their normal retirement date and who has not been in receipt of salary continuance and/or Long Term Disability Benefits for a continuous period of 180 calendar days prior to their normal retirement date, shall remain entitled to salary continuance beyond the June 30th normal retirement date until the maximum benefit period of 180 continuous calendar days has been reached.

If you are interested in accessing long term disability coverage, please contact an external insurance provider to acquire coverage that will suit your personal needs.

Working past the age of 71

The other benefits as listed above will end with the age maximums or continue for those without a maximum.

Planning and financial advice

The U of S Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) offers counselling, support and resources to help you plan for retirement and make better-informed spending, saving and debt management decisions. 

Getting help

Pension Office

Room E180, Administration Building

 (306) 966-6633
 (306) 966-2036

Connection Point 

Types of questions Connection Point can assist with:

Come See Us 
Arts Building, Room 258
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

(306) 966-2000

Employee and Family Assistance Program

The U of S's Employee and Family Assistance Program offers someone to talk to and resources to consult whenever and wherever you need.

Free and confidential support services include:

  • Confidential emotional support
  • Work-life solutions
  • Legal guidance
  • Finanical resources
  • Physical health coaching

(306) 966-4300 
1-844-448-7275 (toll-free)