Your dependents are eligible for coverage under your extended health care and dental plans.


All dependents must be residents of Canada and be eligible under the provincial government health care programs in their province of residence.

Your eligible dependents include:

Spouse – legal or common-law spouse, provided your common-law spouse is publicly represented as your spouse and you have cohabited for one year.

Dependent child – unmarried natural, adopted or stepchild who is dependent upon you for financial support and who is:

  1. under 21 years of age.
  2. under 26 years of age and attending a college or university full-time.
  3. physically or mentally incapable of self-support and became incapable to that extent while entirely dependent on the member for maintenance and support under 1 or 2 above.

The children of your common-law spouse shall be covered provided they are living with you.

Adding or removing dependents

If you need to add/change your dependents on your Sun Life benefits coverage please contact Sun Life directly or update and add your dependents through your online MySunLife account. 

To add an eligible dependent, please follow the instructions below. If you have an overage dependent or disabled dependent, or received guardianship of a dependent, you will not be able to add them in this manner. See below for information on adding them.

  1. Log into your Sun Life account
  2. Click on the person icon in the upper right corner and select "Profile
  3. Select “personal info”
  4. On the next screen scroll down and select “Personal and dependent information”
  5. Select "Update" next to the section titled "Dependent information: Contract 150798 (Medical/Dental)"
  6. You can now add your dependents onto your policy

There is no need to contact the university as we do not store dependent information.

Removing a dependent

When your child reaches the age of 21, they will automatically be removed from your plan as they are no longer considered an eligible dependent. If they are a full-time student, please review adding an overage dependent below.

To remove an overage dependent or spouse from your plan, please contact the Sun Life Customer Care Center at 1‑800‑361‑6212. You will need to provide them with your contract number (150798) and your member ID (the same as your employee ID) when you call.

When you speak with the Sun Life representative, please tell them that the University of Saskatchewan is part of a Non-Positive Enrolment plan with Sun Life, as this information may be needed to understand why you are contacting them with these changes.

There is a different process (see below) for adding the following:

  • Adding an overage dependent attending college or university
  • Adding a disabled dependent
  • Adding a dependent when you obtain guardianship

Overage dependent

Dependents attending a college or university full-time

An overage dependent is an unmarried child who is over the age of 21, under the age of 26 and is currently attending a college or university full-time.

Your child will be automatically removed from your policy when they reach the age of 21. If your child meets the eligibility of an overage dependent, you can contact the Sun Life Customer Care Centre at 1‑800‑361‑6212 prior to their 21st birthday to have them remain on your plan, or, if they have already turned 21, add them back to your plan. You will need to provide your child’s name, the institution they are attending and their birth date.

If they are no longer attending a college or university, you must contact Sun Life to have them removed from your plan. They will be removed from your plan when they turn 26 years old, even if they are still a full-time student, as they will no longer be eligible to be covered under your plan.

Disabled dependent

An unmarried child who becomes disabled before the limiting age (21 years of age, or 26 years of age if attending a college or university full-time) continues to qualify as a dependent as long as the child is incapable of financial self-support because of a physical or mental disability, depends on you for financial support and is not married or in any other formal union recognized by law. You must provide proof of the above within 31 days of the date the child attains the limiting age or within 31 days of becoming eligible for the plan.

Contact ConnectionPoint and request a disabled child coverage form. Complete and return the form to Sun Life.

  • If you have a disability tax credit certificate for your child, complete sections 1 and 2, and send the form to Sun Life (address on the form).
  • If you do not have a disability tax credit certificate for your child, complete sections 1, 2 and 3, and send the form to Sun Life (address on the form).

Sun Life will send you a letter once your dependent’s status has been updated.

Guardianship of dependent

If you obtain legal guardianship (the office or duty of one who legally has the care and management of the person or the estate, or both) of a child, you can apply to add them to your benefits plan. You need to declare you are responsible for the care and well-being of the child and financially responsible for them.

Please contact ConnectionPoint for a request to continue group coverage form and complete sections 1, 2, 4 and 5. Return the form to ConnectionPoint for processing.

Your form is be sent to Sun Life for approval and you are notified once the child’s status has been updated.


Beneficiaries are those named on your life insurance and pension as recipients should you pass away. 

When you become eligible for basic life insurance, you have the opportunity to name your beneficiary at that time. If you apply for optional life insurance and/or optional accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D), you are required to name a beneficiary at the time of application. In either case, if you do not name a specific beneficiary, the beneficiary is your estate.

You may change your beneficiary at any time. 

Adding and removing beneficiaries

If you need to add/change your beneficiaries for group life insurance or optional life insurance, please complete the Beneficiary Change Form and submit the completed form to Connection Point

When you are completing the form, it is important to understand:

  • your beneficiaries do not need to be the same for each type of coverage.
  • if you have more than one beneficiary, the percentage of insurance that the beneficiaries receive must equal 100 per cent. Only whole numbers can be accepted for percentages (no decimals).
  • it is recommended you also name a contingent beneficiary in the event there are no surviving primary beneficiaries at the time the benefit is to be paid. If no contingent beneficiary is named, and the primary beneficiary is no longer alive, the benefit will be paid to your estate.
  • if any of your primary or contingent beneficiaries are under the age of 18, then a trustee (the person who will receive the death benefit on behalf of the child) must be designated.
  • If you have spousal optional life insurance or spousal optional AD&D, you (the employee) are automatically the beneficiary and no changes or updates can be made.
  • If you need to update your beneficiary for your pension, please contact


Dependents (those listed on your health and dental benefits) and beneficiaries (those named on your life insurance and pension as recipients should you pass away) can change over the years.

It is beneficial to review these every couple of years to ensure they are accurate. You can review your coverage and current beneficiaries  on your My Total Rewards statement under Survivor Benefits or in PAWS under My Employment.

Major life events

Major life events may affect your benefits including the need to update your dependent and/or beneficiary information.

Getting help


Types of questions ConnectionPoint can assist with:

Online support
(306) 966-2000
Virtual one-on-one support

Come see us in person
Arts Building, Room 258
Monday to Friday, 9 am to 4 pm (closed 12-1 pm)

Sun Life Customer Call Centre

Sun Life has a Customer Call Centre that provides information directly related to your benefits, claims submitted and status of your claim. Other questions or scenarios that Sun Life can assist with are:

 1-800-361-6212 during the work week from 8am to 8 pm EST.

Or connect online through your MySunLife account. Visit and enter your access ID and password. 

Room E140 Administration Building
University of Saskatchewan
105 Administration Place
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A2

 (306) 966-6633
 (306) 966-2036