In 2019, 41% of USask’s Long Term Disability (LTD) claims were related to mental health in which we have seen an increasing trend over the years. According to Conference Board of Canada research, one of the most effective areas of focus to improve support for mental health issues in the workplace is in front-line manager training. The goal of this training is to provide USask managers with resources and tools to support employees who may be struggling.
This training, from Sun Life, is comprised of three levels that focus on key issues most often faced by people leaders including:
- Manifestation of mental health issues in the workplace
- Identifying stigma
- Supporting employees who are struggling at work
The role of a people leader in promoting a health workplace
Level 1 – E-learning Modules
- This training consists of five on-line modules which will help you identify, communicate, build and understand how to create a psychologically healthy workplace for employees as well as learn basic terms.
- The modules can be accessed 24/7 and completed all at once or over a period of time.
- You can go back and refresh on any of the modules at any time.
- Pre-requisite to level 2.
Level 2 – Live Training Webinars
These 45 – 60 minute webinars will go over topics that complement the e-learning modules. These webinars will be interactive and include case studies.
1) Mental Health and Absence Management
Equips people leaders with tools to prepare for situations that could arise, such as supporting employees who may be struggling, preparing for a difficult conversation, addressing employee performance vs. a mental health issue; reducing stigma, etc. The session will also review USask benefits plans, and mental health resources.
DATE: August 11, 11 am
2) Promoting a Healthy Workplace
The Mental Health Commission of Canada has identified 13 factors that influence mental health in the workplace. This session outlines simple, concrete steps to help managers promote each of these factors in their workplace.
DATE: August 18, 11 am
Level 3 – Addressing Situational Issues
The 1-hour conference call provides an open forum as a follow-up to the webinars. People leaders can discuss current issues and challenges they are experiencing in the workplace. Short micro-learning sessions will be then focused around the specific situational question or issue.
DATE: August 25, 11 am
- Weekly on Mon until Aug, 10 2020